I’m so glad that headphones were invented. If people could actually hear what I workout to, I’d get laughed off the treadmill and onto the recumbent bike. They probably wouldn’t let me near the freeweights anymore, either.
However, dear readers, since you don’t work out at my gym (hopefully) and therefore can’t make fun of me while I’m trying to maintain my physique, I’ll tell you what’s on my workout playlist. And yes, thanks, I know I’m a nerd. But not I’m not a thick glasses/jeans with tennis shoes kind of nerd…I’m a pop culture enthusiast nerd. Let me ‘splain:
1. Driving with the Top Down by Ramin Djawadi from the Iron Man soundtrack: this song inspires me and makes me feel like I’m accomplishing something. It actually makes me smile while I sweat.
2. Percussion Gun by White Rabbits from the It’s Frightening album: I can’t really explain what this song does to me. It feels almost like being angry in a happy way. I know that makes no sense. The persistent drumming in the background really keeps me going.
3. Blow Me Away by Breaking Benjamin: Yeah, I know! This is kind of a normal song you might think, but you’d be wrong. If you’ll recall, it was used during a particular badass section of Halo 2 gameplay. Total nerd redemption.
4. Canned Heat by Jamiroquai: There’s few mental images better than Napoleon’s exquisite Vote for Pedro dance. ‘Nuff said.
5. Take a Look Around by Limp Bizkit: I don’t really like Limp Bizkit any more than the average person, but THIS Bizkit song rocks the Mission Impossible theme as its spine, and there’s nothing better than a little secret agent work while you’re in the gym.
6. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins: TOP GUN!! NEED I SAY MORE?!? I HAVE TO YELL BECAUSE IT’S LOUD UP IN THIS JET!! And having two Tom Cruise movie songs back to back is only incidental, I promise.
7. Wake Up by Arcade Fire: Okay so this is not really a song that pumps me specifically, but it’s almost 6 minutes long and I love it so much that it makes 6 minutes feel like 2 minutes…which is good when you’re on a treadmill.
8. Square Pegs by Pain: Do you remember the awesomeness that was the Midgets with Guns album? If you don’t, then you’re probably WAAAAAY cooler than I was in high school.
9. The Theme Song from Metal Gear Solid 2: I’m deeply sorry that I have no idea who wrote or performed this song. But it’s one of the most awesome video game songs ever. I really don’t like games where you have to be all sneaky/crouchy/silencer etc, but this song made it all worth while.
10. Training Montage by Vince DiCola: Yep. The one from Rocky. This is the most epic 80’s montage song ever. It’s such an epic montage song that it has the word ‘montage’ right in the freaking title! Can you imagine?!?!? Following this up directly with “Eye of the Tiger” is certainly recommended. If you got it, flaunt it.